Friday, September 15, 2006

Hi Gang!
Just a note to update you on SUMO! The Aki (fall) Basho is 5 days old now. The tournament is being held at Ryogoku Kokugikan arena in Tokyo! We had planned to go, but couldn't get tickets for the weekend days. It seems now that was a good thing as I couldn't sit for many hours on the floor in a small space anyway. It was a blessing in disguise that we couldn't get those tickets!

Yokozuna Asashoryu is tied for the lead with 5-0 record with Megashira 6 ranked Ama. Asashoryu is very strong this time, as I have told many friends before I like him but he is the "Loeb" of Sumo. He is strong and it is boring becuase you always know he is going to win, and he will probably win all of his 15 matches of the tournament as well. Everyone else is trying to get 2nd place, doesn't that sound familiar with the WRC?

Hakuho, Kotooshu, Kotomitsuki and Chiyotakai are all tied for 2nd with 4-1 records. Tied with them is Roho, who is also very strong.. I guess he is the Dani Sordo of Sumo.. Seriously, he is strong but he is a little dangerous becuase he is violent. The last tournament he got into trouble for pushing a photographer and he broke some windows in a restroom at the arena when he was angry after one match. He was suspended for three matches and was made to apologize. I worry about him, his attitude seems scary to me. I used to like him but I'm not so sure anymore. It isn't that he is a foreign wrestler that gives him that scary attitude, there are Japanese sumo that I don't like their attitude either. However, if his stablemaster doesn't teach him control he'll make a worse impression for all foreign wrestlers in Sumo.

Unfortunately my favorite Baruto isn't doing as well this time and neither is Takamisakari. Baruto is 3 wins and 2 losses and Kotomitsuki was showing good signs at first but now has dropped the last three and is 2 wins and 3 losses!

The Rikishi (sumo wrestler) which I don't like the most is Miyabiyama. He has a terrible attitude in my opinion. I don't like the way he looks or the smug look on his face when he wins. I just don't think he has a sporting attitude and that smug look isn't favorable in my opinion. So I'm happy to report that he is having trouble at only 2 wins and 3 losses. If you have ever watched Sumo or you ever do watch I'm sure you can see what I mean about his attitude. I don't think he'll ever be violent like Roho was but he just has a bad attitude. I'd rather the "Loeb" Asashoryu win than Miyabiyama each time.

Well, 10 more days to go, anything can happen, it is just like Rally!!! I hope Kotooshu and Baruto improve and I hope Takamisakari gets his groove back!! He always looks like he's going to cry when he doesn't win. It makes me want to cry too!

You can see Sumo updates in English at the following site: http://sumo.goo.ne.jp/eng/hon_basho/index.html

By the way, my back has improved some or the drugs are working better! I've been in bed most of the past few days. I'll stay in bed most of the next three days as well. I hope to be feeling better soon. I still haven't unpacked my car from Hokkaido and I am carrying around suitcases, ladder, tripods, boxes, asst this and that and my prized Jari-Matti Spoiler!!! :-) Of course I'm still sad I got his broken spoiler because it meant he didn't win Rally Japan. But every time I look at that spoiler with his name on it I do get a warm fuzzy feeling...

Good night to all! I'm taking my back to bed!
Love,
Viki

PS Jari-Matti, thanks again for the spoiler!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home