Tuesday, August 21, 2007

HOT HOT HOT & HOTTER in Japan!!!

This has been a hot couple of weeks in Japan! Today my neighbor (a very sweet grandmother type) told me that she feels this has been the hottest time in Japan in 70 years! She also complained to me that they are trying to run the air conditioners more (usually the older people rarely turn them on) because they can't stand the sweat! I've been sleeping with my air conditioner on in my bedroom rather than just having it on for an hour or so before bed because I can't stand waking up in a swimming pool of sweat! It makes it too hard to wake up as well!

The other day at the gym I had a little extra time, I thought "I'll go and spend a little time in the sauna." As I opened the door I thought to myself "what the heck am I doing, I live in a sauna!"

It is hard on many people and we've had some deaths this year due to heat exhaustion! Last Thursday was one of the worst days! (See Japan Times article on the Heat Wave) The record temperatures aren't really accurate that they report as well because they don't take into account the adjusted temperatures. Like at my house in the area direct in the sun it was more than 43C degrees. In my parking lot with all the asphalt and rocks the temperature was also more than 43C but in the shade a bit cooler of course. Anyway I can just say hot hot hot!

It rained a bit then it was slightly cooler but again this morning waking up in a puddle of sweat was miserable again! My friends in Texas complain about the heat too but I lived there and I remember it. When you only have to go from the centrally air conditioned house to the car, to the centrally air conditioned and very cold store, school, office whatever and back it isn't so hot.
But in Japan many people don't even have an air conditioner and many who do rarely use them because they are so expensive. I have units in some rooms of my house and I use them sparingly. My bedroom for example, before I go to bed, cool it off (usually try to turn it off before I sleep) and my computer room, I use that one a lot. But just using two air conditioners and not even full time (just a few hours a day) my electric bill will be at least up by an additional $120.00. (I hope not more!)

I've been spending every afternoon with my friend Joe at the gym exercising because it is cooler there and when you sweat it is worth something! We don't have to use any electricity at home during the hottest part of the day this way.

Just one more week of Summer Vacation, I can't believe it is almost over! Where did the time go?

Love,
Viki
xxoo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home